Friday, November 12, 2010

Polka Dot Pants.

    My little girl is growing up. Not by leaps and bounds yet but there are so many little things that are new. She is trying to count, so throughout the day I hear “One, two, one, two.” She has learned the power of the word “again.” She can put on some kinds of shoes all by herself. She can do so much compared to just 6 months ago!

    But this post is about the most recent development. Tonight she chose what she wanted to wear. She realized she had the ability to have input in what she was wearing. While this might seem like something small it seems huge to me. There is the potential for fit throwing. How do you explain to a 22 month-old that some days it's okay for her to pick out what she wants and some days she has to choose between the choices Mommy has for her?

    Even more important is the fact that soon to follow she will realize what she looks like. Once that happens there is a whole new realm of parenting. To this point I choose what to buy her, I choose what she wears, and I know I'm okay with it. She will need to be taught about modesty, about looking nice (without being prideful), about the appropriateness of clothes, and about more ideas than I can even think about right now.

    I know it will be a long time teaching all those things. But I didn't realize that the beginnings of these concepts would start so early. I know now I will need to think seriously about these things so that when the inevitable “why?” comes I have a better answer than “Because I said so.”

~Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment